9-12-2004

In the morning we visited Ulva Island again, the same birds but a bit more
activity. The skipper of the water taxi told us that a new low with gale force winds was
coming to Stewart Island. We called Phillip again and again the chances were not good.
With the chance of being stuck on an island all over again we decided to pack and leave
the island while we still could. We took the afternoon boat back to the mainland.
The weather on the mainland was even worse than on Stewart Island with showers during
the whole trip to Te Anau, Fjordlands. We arrived in Te Anau around 18:00 o’clock and
checked in at Fjordlands Holiday Park (NZ 40,- for a cabin). The weather was good in
Te Anau and we heard that it had been good for an exceptional 4 days in a row (until we
arrived…).